Friday, June 16, 2006

70+ Law

I like old people, Im related to a few of them actually. But it never ceases to amaze me that at a certain age the mind starts to slip. Here are a few facts you should know about older people.

They have spent the last 70 years learning things and their head is full, it doesnt matter how many times you explain the same thing over and over again they are not going to get it because they are done learning... forever.

They are very picky and they hate when things change mostly due to the first fact but also because its the way it has "always been done!."

They have everything in the world possibly wrong with them there is no reason an insurance company should deny anything they have done, atleast that is the way they feel.

While they cannot learn anything new they do remember every little detail about the last 70+ years of there life and will be happy to divulge all 70+ years of it no matter what question you ask.

When people reach this age they should only be able to call loved ones and friends or not be able to have a phone at all. The following stories are two cases to prove my point:

Mrs. Casey called me today and wanted to update me with her new insurance card information she got in the mail that day. She was a very sweet old lady in her 80s but she did have a problem that when she talked it sounded like she was crying, her voice just just quavered really weird and it took her forever to say a sentence. So I asked her for the insurance company's name and she said CITI Financial, then I asked for the ID # and she gave me like a 16 digit #, 5 minutes later I asked for the effective date she says,
"There isnt an effective date, but there is a cancel date.."
Curious I asked, "Well what is that?"
" August of 2012."
This tipped me off...the poor lady had not gotten a new insurance card she was giving me her credit card information.
"Mam is there a large black strip on the back of the card?"
"Actually, yes there is..."
"Mam that is a credit card..."
"NO! Its my new insurance card!"
"Okay mam I have that updated for you..." (I just gave up.)

The second is where Mr. Johnson called us and was quite furious.
" I want you to know this is probably the 30th time I have called in about this and I am furious! Everytime I call in for the same thing and nothing has been done."
I think we have seriously messed up this guys insurance and this is not going to be a great call.
"Well Ill be happy to help you with whatever your problem is Mr. Johnson."
"Well I hope you can do better than the 50 other people I talked to about this. Here is my problem when you send me out the paper copies of the claim reports, they are to big to fit in my file cabinet."
This seriously better not be this mans problem...
"And?"
"And what? Thats my problem, I have to just stack these things up everywhere because they wont fit in my cabinet!"
"Im sorry sir but I dont think we can change the size of the paper we print these out on just so you can fit them in your filing cabinet."
"Im not asking you to change the size for everyone just for me, it cant be that hard."
"Well actually sir the claim reports are all generated on the day they are processed by a large printing press so we cant print them out individually."
"Well thats a bunch of Bull(#&@! what am I supposed to do with these?"
"My personal suggestion would be to cut them, fold them or buy a bigger cabinet sir."
"Will my insurance pay for that?"
"No sir."
"I want to speak to your manager!"

So I transfered him to my manager and she laughed in his face. And this my friends is why people 70+ should not have phones.

Leroy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha bigger cabinet lol!

Glad to have you back leroy!